Exammaterials has summarize The Life Changer Chapter 1 for those candidates seeking for The Life Changer Chapter 1 Summary. All you have to do is to read this article till end. This article contain Introduction to The Life Changer, The Life Changer Chapter 1 Summary, Facts About The Life Changer (Jamb 2021 Novel), Things to Note on The Life Changer Chapter One, The Life Changer Chapter 1 Likely Jamb Questions, and Meaning & Synonyms of Words in Chapter 1.
Introduction to The Life Changer
Khadijat Abubakar Jali’s: “ _The life changer_ ” explores several narratives of life on campus. The text uses the voice of Ummi to narrate various campus challenges. The narration follows the adventures of Salma and her roommates in the university as they journey through social and academic upheaval.
The life changer explicitly cuts across the changes that follow a person’s life in the university. The university is known to be a mystery to people who have never experienced it. This text shows the need for parental guidance and counselling in a new world where freedom is tied to many complexities such as temptation, lies, distrust, betrayal, bad association, crime, bribery and corruption, abuse of social media etc.
Recommended : JAMB 2022 Mock Exam Result, Check UTME Result Now
Facts About The Life Changer (Jamb 2021 Novel)
It was written by Khadija Abubakar Jalli.
It has 9 Chapters and 79 pages.
It is based on Campus Life.
The story is centered around Salma and Experiences.
The Author studied Mathematics Education and is the CEO of Boutique Afrique.
The Author dedicated the book to her 5 children; Zahra, Najwa, Basma, Sodiq and Farha.
The Storyteller (Ummi) first child was Omar (18 years), the second child was Teemah, the third was Jamila and the last born was Bint (5 years).
The admission gained by Omar was The Life Changer and that’s where the name of the novel is coined.
The novel is full of grammar, especially in Chapter One.
You can finish the Life changer Novel in less than 4 hours.
Recommended : What You Need To Know About JAMB Mock Exam
The Life Changer Chapter 1 Summary
Waiting for dad
Mint’s story about her meddlesome social studies teacher.
Mom (Ummi) eavesdropping and joining the discussion.
Omar’s admission into Abu Zaria.
No light for two days and the generator was bad.
Going outside for fresh air and sipping zobo.
Omar’s need to get a Phone.
Admission as the Life Changer.
They were waiting for Dad… Omar (The First Son) wasn’t at home either. Mom (Ummi) was outside while three of her children Teemah, Jamila and Bint were in the room talking and laughing.
The laugher drew their mother’s (Ummi) attention and she tried to listen to what they were discussing. Behold, it was Bint (5 years old and the last born) who was telling the other two girls what happened in her school.
This was the story, Bint’s Teacher (Mallam Salihu) asked the class how to say Good morning in French. The class was silent until Bint answered that Good morning in french is Bonjour. Bint then asked the teacher, how do we say very good in French? The Teacher could not answer.
To ensure he doesn’t mislead the pupils, Mallam Salihu went out to call the French teacher who answered the question; C’est tres bien means very good in French. Bint looked at the French teacher who answered the Question in admiration.
The Pupils surround Bint and started clapping and singing going around her because she asked a question the teacher could not answer.
The mom then entered the room to join them and the conversation got animated (Full of life, exciting, lively). Ummi claimed that it was better for the teacher to call someone else than to give the wrong answer. However, Bint didn’t agree. According to Bint, the teaching claims he knows too much.
Ummi then said, what if the teacher had told you that au revoir means very good? Meanwhile, it is how to say goodbye until we meet again in French?
While they were still gisting, Omar came in to break the news that he has been given admission to study Study Law at the Kongo Campus of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
The mom was very happy about the admission and also considering the fact that Omar’s dad had the dream to study Law but didn’t work out. Ummi then told Omar that Admission is THE LIFE CHANGER. That is where the name of the Novel The Life changer by Khadija Abubakar Jalli was gotten.
See Also : The Life Changer Chapter 2 Summary
Note The Following in Chapter One:
1. The room was hot in chapter one because No light for two days and the generator needed repair
2. Teemah sells Zobo
3. Until now, he had been ensconced in this Lafayette community
4. Omar and Teemah were cat and rat
5. Admission is a life changer; it changes you and your life
The Life Changer Chapter 1 Likely Jamb Questions
1. What is the full name of the author of the Life Changer?
Answer : Khadija Abubakar Jalli
2. Why did the mother pause to listen to their conversation?
Answer : Because there was something about the laugher that drew her attention
3. Why were the other sisters laughing very hard?
Answer : The 5-year-old younger one was telling them stories
4. She was telling her two sisters the story of her classroom encounter with their meddlesome Social Studies teacher. Which other word can replace meddlesome as used in the novel?
Answer : Interfering
5. They were waiting for dad, why?
Answer : He is a banker, he closes by 5 pm and gets home late.
6. How old was Bint when she was narrating the story?
Answer : 5 years old.
7. How do you say Good Morning in French?”
Answer : Bonjour
8. How do you say that’s very good in French?
Answer : C’est tres bien
9. How do you say that’s very good in French, Aunty?” Bint asked reverentially.
Question: Which other word can replace reverentially as used in the passage?
Answer : Respectfully, In admiration
10. Why did the students surround Bint and started clapping and singing going around her
Answer : Because she asked a question the teacher could not answer
11. The following are reasons the mom (Ummi) goes into their room… Ummi – (Arabic) when translated means mummy too.
1. To question them about neatness
2. To keep them company
12. Who was Bint’s elder sister?
Answer : Jamila
13. Who was the first child?
Answer : Omar (the only male)
14. Who was Bint’s Teacher?
Answer : Mallam Salihu
15. How do you say goodbye until we meet again in French?
Answer : au revoir
16. When our conversation got that animated…. Mean
Answer : Full of life, exciting, lively
17. Omar Gained admission to study at where?
Answer : Study Law at the Kongo Campus of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
18. According to Omar, what’s stopping Teemah from growing tall?
Answer : Plain Jealousy, Envy
Recommended: Is JAMB Mock Compulsory For All Candidates
Meaning & Synonyms of Words in Chapter 1
1. meddlesome – Obstructive, active to know everything
2. didactic – intended to teach, instructive, educational.
3. animated – Full of life, exciting, lively
4. spontaneity – flow of the discussion
5. ululated – howl or wail as an expression of strong emotion
6. providence – fate, nemesis, destiny
7. But those belligerent sisters of yours -hostile and aggressive, threatening
8. bickering – argue about petty and trivial matters.
9.Omar turned to look balefully at me – Harmful or malignant in intent or effect
10.My life before marriage had always been one dreary thing after another – depressingly dull and bleak or repetitive.
11.What do you mean by that immodest remark?- lacking humility or decency.
12.She stopped taunting him – Stopped Interrupting him,
13. …he paused to look empathically at me – The ability to sense the emotions, feelings, and reactions intellectually
14. It means I am at one with members of the intelligentsia – intellectuals or highly educated people as a group, scholars
15. Chortle – Laugh in a noisy, gleeful way.
16. chuckle – to laugh inwardly or quietly
17. mirthful – full of mirth; merry or amusing.
18. eavesdrop – to secretly listen to conversation.
19. surreptitiously – secretively.
20. vivid – clear, realistic, authentic.
21. meddlesome – interfering.